Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Low-Histamine, Anti-Inflammatory, Gut-Healing.
- 2 yellow squashes (chopped)
- 2T extra-virgin organic olive oil
- 1 LB ground turkey
- 2 C rice
- 4 C low sodium or unsalted chicken broth ** (Can also use bone broth).
- 2 eggs (optional, I don’t have a histamine issue with eggs but some people do)
- 1/2 medium sweet onion (chopped)
- 3T garlic salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste) ** (Black pepper can release histamine, not recommended if you have histamine issues)
- Pinch of allspice
- 2T seasoned salt (to taste and based on dietary needs)
- Parsley (to taste/optional. Great for gut health!)
Notes: This is a loose play on an Arabic dish (heshwe) that is great for realigning your gut, detoxing your histamine bucket, and very healthy/well-rounded use of calories for what you intake.
- Get the olive oil in the bottom of a soup-pot (won’t spill over when rice expands) or high-walled sautee pan. Brown the ground turkey with your chopped sweet onion until it is fully cooked.
- Add in your rice, chicken broth, squash and seasonings. If you choose to add parsley, this would be where you add it.
- Place the lid on your pot and set the heat to medium to impart the flavors into the rice and squash, slow-cooking style. You will need to let this sit, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked and the liquid is gone.* (Be careful – dependng on the efficiency of your stove or what broth you use, you may need to add a little water/oil mixture to keep it from sticking and burning to your pot. Monitor every time you stir to make sure the liquid content is adequate.)
- Once the rice is cooked, taste and season accordingly to your style of cooking. Add the eggs. Stir until eggs are cooked and incorporated.
- Serve! Best served hot.
I make this at least once a week and LOVE this recipe. Let me know how you like it!